The inaugural Narraganset Bays & Bridges 200k was a great success! We had a 49 riders register for this early season ride, the first ever with a Rhode Island start and finish. (RUSA is chartered in RI but ironically, has never had a brevet starting from the Ocean State.) I suspect all 49 riders were clicking refresh on the forecast for the past week as a Nor’easter hit the area on Wednesday and had the possibility of forcing us to use an alternate route without the pretty bike paths on the first 20 miles. Thankfully the storm was dud and the ride continued as planned. 44 riders started including many first-time Randonneurs, two recumbents, a fixed-gear, and a tandem. 42 riders finished!
At the “Secret” control riders got to meet RUSA Member #1 and her partner Pierce. Besides being a founding member and former President of RUSA, Jennifer organized the famous Boston-Montreal-Boston 1200k for almost 20 years. It was an honor to have their help on the ride. We also want to thank Kevin for his support and hospitality in running the Little Compton control. We couldn’t have done it without these volunteers. Finally, Huge thanks to Ted Shwartz for designing & leading the ride. Hopefully this becomes an annual tradition.
On Feb 24th NER Gave a presentation on the sport at Wheelworks in Belmont, MA. As a way of preparing for the presentation a question was posted on the NER mailing list (Google Group) about why people enjoy riding and what separates them normal club centuries.
The responses to the question are great and worth a read.
Registration for all events now open.
Find registration links on event pages or in the 2018 Calendar
- Thanks to the 12 riders who came out on a cold but not freezing early February day. Results have been posted
and some photos from the start/finish can be found by searching for the #NERandonneurs tag on instagram
Feb 24th @ 5pm
- Introduction to Randonneuring Talk at Belmont Wheelworks. This is an open session hosted by the bike shop were we'll discuss the basics of the sport and answer questions. Not an NER event but everyone is welcome to attend. Snacks provided!
- Brand New 117k from West Medford
to Billerica & Ipswich and back led by NER Board Member Sarah Bergstrom. Route is here
, more details on the Sunday Series page.
- Narraganset Bays and Bridges 200k
. (New Event!) Starting from Providence, RI this "easy" early season ride heads down to Newport, RI and back through southern MA. Great way to start season. See the info page for a good description of the route.
April 7th 100k
& April 21st 200k
- New Start/Finish location of Nashoba Brooks School (parking lot) in Concord, MA. The 100k will still head to Sterling, MA but along a revised route. The 200k has an almost entirely new and hilly route which uses tiny roads to the west of Worcester. More details on both events coming soon.
Early this summer...
New Start location and route for the May 12th MA 300k/200k
. The Woodstock Vermont 400k
has been moved to July 7th.
We have blocks of room at the start of the MA 400k (June 9th)
and MA 600k (July 14th)
for riders to reserve now if they are traveling to the start. The block of rooms expires about 4 weeks before the event so reserve now if interested.